The wooden, double cross church in Parikkala is built according to the drawings of the Italian-born Carlo Bassi. The actual building works were done under the supervision of church building contractor Matti Salonen during the years 1813-1817. There is room for 1,600 people in the church. It is the fourth church in the same location. The first one was built in the 1690s. The altarpiece is painted by the Russian artist named Grevishevsky, and it depicts the Transfiguration of Christ. During summer the church serves as a road church and is open to the public regularly.